Thursday, 3 May 2007

The Trial of Skinned Knuckles

I've been slow to post pictures of Sunday, thinking I'd wait for my broadband to be connected. It's here! I will no doubt now waste a lot more of my life twiddling with things on the Web. At least uploading these pictures will be much quicker! I can't believe I've held out this long....

We went to Bowden Doors on Sunday, with me injured and not really psyched to do much. But we did have a go at the real Dog Eat Dog (6b) (see previous post!). It was hard! I went up to take pictures from the top. This problem has a reputation for having a very, very sandy topout. Oh how true. It was scary enough just standing up there, let alone pulling up from below with only hands for friction above a nasty landing. Maybe next time I'll feel brave enough to try it!

Sarah making good progress on Dog Eat Dog


Caroline hanging in there...

Then we went further along to the crimpy things we tried at Easter, now identified as the aptly named The Trial - a route at E3 5c, but no boulder problem grade. We both had another shot at it, whereupon we both suffered the same injury, in the same place, from the same bit of rock! Pictures of finger injuries seem to be a bit of a theme here, so I might as well carry it on! This time I took off, not only the skin on my knuckle, but also all the scar tissue I'd grown since Easter. It's still sore now, 4 days later.

Knuckles....congenital weakness? Or just a nasty bit of rock?

No climbing this week since Jules the Fizzy O thinks I have pulled a rib out of place (again!). Unfortunately, no climbing equates to beer-swigging and cake-making. Shame.

2 comments:

Toby - Northern Light Blog said...

Bleeding fingers are cool. You have inspired me. I no longer feel alone and sad. Thank you Desk Monkey. ;-)

alpinedreamer said...

Hi Toby,
Yours look much worse than mine! Ouch! Don't know if you've seen Dave Redpath's bleeding flapper on Dave Macleod's blog? If it's good enough for him, it's good enough for me. If readers climb, they'll understand why the pictures are there. If readers don't climb and don't understand, then I don't care! It proves you're trying :-)

Emma