Wednesday, 24 October 2007

7 weeks in a tent

Well, ok not quite 7 weeks in a tent, but 6 at least! We have learned a thing or two during this time, one of which is what we miss and what we don't. It's amazing what you can live without if you don't really need it.

Accoutrements for camping

Things we miss most (in no particular order!):

1. Bed
2. Bed
3. Hot water
4. Emma missed pizza until she found that the wee shop in Orpierre sells it in Emma-sized slices!
5. A toilet seat that doesn't freeze....yeah, let's not finish that sentence.
6. Bed
7. A table
8. Caroline misses loud music and dancing naked around her living room (things you learn about your friends; eh?! E.)
9. Clothes that at least look like they have been washed
10. Bed
11. Emma misses Paul more than anything
12. Caroline misses her Mini more than anything

Hanging out at Orpierre's Prince d'Orange campsite

For those of you who are interested, we don't miss work. For others of you who are interested, it has been down to -3 at night, and Caroline found ice on her sleeping bag the other morning. The days are warm (if we stay in the sun) but the nights are bloody freezing. Climbing wise Orpierre is a wonderful place to just be, climbing or not. Best so far is my clean onsight of 6b. I have also decided I can't be bothered with very long overhanging juggy 6b routes, which just freak me out and knacker my arms for the rest of the day. Give me something short and technical any day. My fingers are feeling a bit stiff and achey, which is a bit worrying, but a bit of rest might help. Caroline just likes stuff she can get up (her words not mine!).

Frosty tent

There is some re-evaluation of objectives going on, since this sport climbing malarky is a lot harder than I remember it being. Let's stick with doing whatever is fun, interesting and do-able; the grades can go hang for now. They're in danger of spoiling my trip.

Gros bisous a tous (I think my French is improving...?!)

4 comments:

DaveR said...

Hi Emma, I always find it hard to keep motivated on a long trip. Try taking a few days of to see the sites. You can then go and find some cool steep lines to climb. You planning on visiting Ceuse? Enjoy the wine :p

Niall said...

Get on Les Ailes du Desire, 6C, at the Chateau! Looks steep but it's got more jugs than a top-shelf mag!
I'll get me coat...

Niall

Ian said...

Re: number 8:
I'm glad I'm not the only one with mad friends :chuckle:

John Hunter said...

Hello, just stumbled by your blog, made me want to be in Font right now, when I was there, the trees seemed to ooze climbing, seemed to will me to get on the rock, to push harder and harder, dunno what it was, but It had something about the place

Jh